History & cultural heritage
Castle and Historic Town
The landmark of the town of Kronberg im Taunus is the castle, the oldest parts of which were built around 1180. The so-called middle castle was built along with the construction of the “Big House“ around 1320, the North wing was completed around 1500. In 1330, the Emperor granted the Lords of Kronberg town ordinances and privileges to build a settlement near the castle and allowed them to enclose it. Remnants of the town walls are still visible today, as is one of the gates, the “Eichentor“ on Eichenstrasse. Johanniskirche church, built from 1440 on under Frank “the Rich“, is located in the historic town centre. The altar of Maria dating from the 15th century is considered the most significant piece of art of the church, the tombs of the Lords of Kronberg and the painted wooden barrel vault are equally impressive. Located in the immediate vicinity of the Protestant church is „Streitkirche“ Church. It was built under the territorial lordship of the Electors of Mainz in the 18th century as a Catholic church, although it was never consecrated as such. The former official building “Receptur“, whose yard opens behind an archway from the 16th century, also dates back to the times of the Electoral Mainz. The building opposite is the inn “Zum Adler“, former meeting place of the painters of the artists‘ colony, which was reconstructed after the major fires in 1780.
At about the middle of the 19th century, painters of the Städel Art Institute in Frankfurt discovered their idyllic Taunus scenes in the town of Kronberg, the landscape and the motifs of Kronberg everyday life they see as picturesque. Jakob Fürchtegott Dielmann and Anton Burger were among the first painters who initially found lodgings at the inn “Zum Adler”. Since 1858 they took up permanent residence at that place. They were followed by students and fellow painters, above all women who were not admitted to art colleges were part of Burger‘s circle of students. With the triumph of impressionism in Germany, the artists‘ colony gradually dissolved. The last official representatives of the Kronberg Artists‘ Colony died in 1948 with Fritz Wucherer and Emil Rumpf.
An imperial residence
Victoria Empress Friedrich, dowager of the German Emperor Friedrich III, had Friedrichshof Palace built in Kronberg as her dowager’s domicile and lived there until her death in 1901. Kronberg im Taunus owes much to her artistic and social interests. She saved the castle from ruin, renovated Johanniskirche Church, established the Town Library and social institutions. Friedrichshof is today run as the “Schlosshotel“ (Castle Hotel). Part of the former palace gardens including an Italian-style rose garden and romantic grotto are open to the public.